Postnatal depression can affect each woman differently. It can start within a few weeks of giving birth or could take a few months to develop.
The Key symptoms are:
- A prolonged feeling of sadness or low mood.
- Lack of energy and a constant feeling of tiredness (even if you have managed to sleep)
- Feelings of guilt, self-blame or worthlessness
- High levels of anxiety
- Difficulty in bonding with the baby
- Feeling tearful frequently
- Not wanting to be left alone with the baby or go out alone
- Thoughts of self-harm or suicide – if you are having these feelings it is important to seek medical advice as soon as possible.